body {visibility:hidden;} .print {visibility:visible;}

Saturday, October 10, 2009

60/126

Woohoo! Saturdays are generally a day with little to complain about ;) I hope yours was fabbo too. I welcomed the day with a morning smoothie that was far too delicious and therefore in my tummy before I remembered to photograph it. It contained: soymilk, cacao beans, banana, raw agave syrup (which is very molasses-like) and a raw egg.

I've never tried the raw-egg-for-protein thing before but The Programmer swears that it's the secret to a great smoothie and it turns out he might be onto something. The whole combo was great, salmonella risk notwithstanding. I also had my Omega 3's . I'm making a point to be more dedicated about taking my fish oil. I just got a batch back from the lab and they are contaminant free and worthy of consumption. Pretty too.
After smoothie-time we headed out to buy some RAM for my PC (I need it to be more speedy, dammit) and discovered a French Farmers Market in the city which was quite underpopulated on account of the freezing weather. Feeling like a complete wuss, I ducked into a cafe called Soul Food and had a hot green tea. Bliss. Then, when I got home I had a dandelion soy latte and a Lara bar. Mmmm mmm.
The afternoon was taken up with work and study and the sugar cravings were troubling me, as sometimes happens when I have to apply myself even though I'd rather be surfing Facebook. I sucked a People Pop which got me through to my mid-afternoon snack - an apple, some sardines on essene bread, a few activated almonds and 10g dark (90%) chocolate.
About 6pm I was thinking about making dinner and already feeling hungry. I made a huge pile of carrot sticks to keep me from hitting the chocolate and had two dandelion espresso's. I'm beginning to like them and think they may just keep my coffee habit under control. They are very bitter, but the taste is growing on me and, of course, dandelion is great for your liver.
Dinner was a lamb tangine, which I neglected to photograph.. oops. At the farmers market I had been given a sprig of fresh mint by a near-hypothermic french farmer and I went googling for mint-inspired culinary ideas.

Notes on the background content of this photo: The dodgy looking brown sludge in the glass is prunes soaking for the tangine. You can also see my raybans.
After completing my research, I decided on roasties with mint. I par-boiled some kumara, parsnip and pumpkin and tossed it with a little olive oil, sea salt and chopped up mint leaves. It was very mildly minty, just what I'd been hoping for.
Just as I was about to serve dinner I got a phone call that my mum and her hubby were going to drop around the two couches that we are babysitting while he is in East Timor (whole other story there..). It is very much their style to do things without notice. So, on the spur of the moment I boiled up a pile of rice and made dinner for two into dinner for four. I also had a glass of red wine.. ok, it was two. Two glasses of red wine *sigh*. But.. no coffee! *shines slightly tilted halo*.

No comments:

Post a Comment