body {visibility:hidden;} .print {visibility:visible;}

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

It's been a while!

Gosh, I cannot believe that it's been more than 6 months since I updated the lab. That's life, huh? At last weigh in I was 57.9kg and yesterday I was 58.3, a few days before that I was 57.8kg, so I'd call that maintenance.

It hasn't all been easy sailing, but generally I'd say that I've beaten the binges and developed what I'd call a fairly normal, slightly edgy, relationship with food. I'll never be able to just eat whatever, whenever, but I can do what I'm doing. Exercising is a little bit random. A bit of this and that. Over the last three weeks I've been studying for exams and exercise has been very random. One day I did a few yoga stretches, another day I jumped on the bike for 20 minutes, and yet.. I'm not turning to flab. I do still struggle with urge to binge sometimes, but the very strange this is, I usually eat a bit, then stop. It is always after a few wines. Today is Tuesday and Sunday was a near binge. I'd been studying hard all day and about 5pm I decided to have a glass of wine.. on an empty stomach. I knew it was a fatal combination - stress, wine, no food - but I did it anyway and an hour later I raided the cupboard, fully thinking that I was about to binge. I scoffed a few muesli bars, total calorie count about 650. Then I was uncomfortably full. I think the non-bingeing has had a definite effect. I cannot handle that 'too full' feeling anymore and just stop eating. The binge is gone. However...

I now want to lose a little bit of weight, without ressurrecting The Binge. What worked last time was a short elimination diet, followed by six months of regular, but healthy eating. I've been reading http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com and, although it seems a fringe theory, I think that the six days of elimination I did somehow altered my metabolism or did something to my leptin receptors. Since then I have been pretty consistent with my paleo diet, adding in some dairy and occasional grains and the even more occasional real splurge. I'm consistent without being 'anal'. The difference from times when I dieted down using reduced calories is that I have not had terrible rebound hunger. In fact, at the end of the six days 'dieting' I was less hungry than usual and that has remained. I'm just thinking. I'm not saying one thing or the other, but, as a budding health scientist I am thinking about hormones and lectins. You know... just speculating. And, you'll be hearing more about that. It's not all about hormones though. I'm just eating less than I used to, because I'm less hungry. So, it's calories and content. The content makes the calorie control an automatic thing.

So, I'm intending another elimination diet starting tomorrow and this time you'll get the blow by blow account. The hard part is giving up the coffee and I think it's necessary, as coffee is a bean. So, the next six days is my elimination diet as per diet.net.nz . So, I'll be off to the fish market tomorrow then!

No comments:

Post a Comment