body {visibility:hidden;} .print {visibility:visible;}

Friday, June 18, 2010

Day 4 of 6

Well, I think the worst of the caffeine withdrawal is over. I did a bit of reading last night and pretty much concluded that the problem is/was severe addiction to caffeine. I also noted that I have for quite some time exhibited symptoms of a condition called 'caffeinism' (insomnia, anxiety etc.) which can result from long term consumption of high levels of caffeine. I also read that it's a better idea to wean yourself off, rather than just go balls-to-the-wall, but you know.. it's done now. Just some minor aches and pains today and the 'blahness' continues, but I've also had moments of feeling pretty great.

My plan, post-elimination diet, is to really minimise my problem foods, which are chocolate, coffee (both high in caffeine) and alcohol. I think moderation would be one cup or less of real coffee a day, with a few non-caff days, and one or two glasses of wine a week. Chocolate, can be a kind of once or twice a week thing too. So that the new regime is not such a psychological shock to my system, I've bought some of this:

I'm sure my coffee machine will be insulted, but at least this way I can still have my espresso without going nuts. It would take 45 decaf espresso's to equal the caffeine in just one regular espresso. I tested it. It's not bad, and seems to behave well in the coffee machine. I could not find beans, only grounds, so it won't even contaminate the bean hopper and grinder mechanism on my beloved Saeco Royal Professional with cup-warmer.

Today I kept busy with brainless, fun tasks, like taking photo's to send to my niece overseas. I was definitely not feeling up to anything that involves my brain. I visited The Programmers parents (his mum is witnessing my new passport application) and I was certainly feeling a bit brain fogged when it came to conversation. I also left my application form on the table on the way out and forgot where the car was parked. I'd say not quite firing on all cylinders. I munched on pears, grilled up some fish and kumara for lunch and dinner will be a lamb soup seasoned only with salt (let's see how that works out).

Now I'm settled in for some net surfing and TV watching - really all I feel capable of tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment