body {visibility:hidden;} .print {visibility:visible;}

Friday, July 16, 2010

57 -6 Meeting the Challenges

Today has been one of those days which is great on one level (spending time with family, going to the movies) but desperately challenging when it comes to managing my food. It would have been easy to just give up.

For a start I am sleep deprived. I slept last night on the floor in my brothers lounge and, although comfortable enough, I didn't sleep that great. I'm not actually a great or deep sleeper even under ideal conditions, so this is nothing unusual. Except that, come morning, my niece (10 months) and nephew (3 years old yesterday) came in to open his belated presents and it was all over, rover, for the sleeping attempt.

I knew that we were in for the movies at 12 noon so had a bigger than usual breakfast (banana on toast), but even before the movie started I was super hungry. Telling myself that another couple of hours wouldn't make much difference, I stayed calm and got through fine. However, after the movie, there were things to pick up and groceries to get and it was about 2.30 by the time we finally found somewhere to have lunch. By then I was feeling really grumpy and a bit shaky. I was, by that point, just trying to prevent myself throwing a toddler-like tantrum and bursting into tears! (very unattractive in a grown woman). The selection at the only cafe near the supermarket was dire, from a Sara point of view. Everything seemed to have tomatoes, potatoes or peppers in it (all nightshades) so I settled for a chicken and cranberry panini, leaving about half the bread. I also ate an apple from the grocery haul. I gave my lara bar to my brother because, being completely gluten free, there was literally nothing that he could eat. Cafe food is always the hardest challenge for anyone on a 'special' diet. I had another apple once we got back home.

Now that I've regained sanity, I'm pretty much 'home and hosed' for the day. I offered to cook dinner, which takes care of the unknown factor (it will be fish and veges + bread for the bread-eaters). I focused on sticking to my schedule and keeping my head on. Panicking always makes me irrational. The thing is, a bit of bread won't actually make me fat, or cause my arthritis to flare. It's constant, or excessive, consumption that causes an issue. 'The dose makes the poison', as the wholehealth source guy likes to say. Sometimes, in the real world, realism means making the best choice possible and concentrating on enjoying the company, even if I'm not being 'perfect'. That's life. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment